WWPA's Prop 65 Notification Service for the Wood Products Industry
Who uses WWPA's Prop 65 Notification Program?
WWPA’s Prop 65 Notification Program is available to all lumber & wood products producers and distributors; membership with WWPA is not required.
Wood Products Producers: All wood products producers large and small, including lumber and panel producers, remanufacturers, lumber treaters, engineered wood producers, and specialty producers benefit from utilizing our Prop 65 notification program. The new Prop 65 regulation clarifies that producers have the primary responsibility to provide notices to their distributors and retail outlets that a product may cause an exposure to wood dust and other listed chemicals that requires a warning and to provide warning signs or other warning materials.
Distributors: Just as it is the responsibility of the producers to provide notice to their distributors, all distributors that sell into California have a responsibility to provide warning materials to their California customers.
How WWPA Can Help
Currently, the only safe harbor protection for lumber and wood products sold to the general public in the state of California is for the retailer to post warning signs that are 8 ½ x 11 inches in size, with a minimum font size of 20-point type that contain the tailored safe harbor language for lumber & wood products and contain the international symbol accompanied by the capitalized word WARNING.
Warning materials are required to be sent out annually. As a subscriber to our service, all that you have to do is provide WWPA with your list of customers that should receive warning materials, which are kept confidential and protected by fire-walled computer security. Once we have a signed agreement and receive your customer data we will:
- Provide each customer on the subscribing company’s list with the safe harbor warning information and signage necessary to comply with the new regulations. A durable warning sign covering exposures to wood dust and other chemicals is sent to each California address.
- Compile confirmations of receipt of the warning materials
- Provide a delivery confirmation status report upon completion of the annual notification cycle to each service subscriber.
- Retain customer confirmation of receipt data for the subscribing company, making it available if it is ever needed.
Benefits of Using Our Service
WWPA has been offering the Prop 65 Notification Service since 2011. It has been both cost effective and successful for our subscribers. As a subscriber to this service, you can expect the following benefits:
- Cost Savings: Sending warning notification and signage to each customer that is located in, or selling into, California and attempting to obtain confirmation of receipt of those materials is time consuming and labor intensive, not to mention costly when staff time and materials are considered.
- Happy Customers: By using WWPA’s centralized notification service, the subscribing company’s customers receive a single warning notice rather than being inundated by notices from multiple suppliers.
- Peace of Mind: WWPA works closely with both the California Attorney General’s office and the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) to make sure that we have the most up to date information regarding changes to the Prop 65 regulation for lumber and wood products. WWPA has been successfully providing our notification service to the wood products industry for the last 7 years, making pursuit of compliance with Prop 65 regulations much easier than trying to go it alone.
- You're in Good Company: The WWPA Prop 65 Notification Program is utilized by a wide range of producers and distributers both large and small. The following companies are current subscribers to our service:
- Brightwood Corporation
- Brookside Veneers Ltd
- C&D Lumber Company
- Columbia Forest Products
- Columbia Vista Corporation
- Conrad Forest Products
- Fontana Wood Preserving, Inc.
- Forest City Trading Group, Inc.
- Georgia-Pacific, LLC
- Hampton Affiliates
- Idaho Forest Group, LLC
- Interfor U.S. Inc
- L.J. Smith Stair Systems, Inc.
- Malheur Lumber Company
- Manke Lumber
- Mendocino Forest Products
- Pacific States Industries
- Pacific Wood Laminates
- Patrick Lumber Company
- PotlatchDeltic Corporation
- Rosboro, LLC
- RSG Forest Products, Inc.
- SDS Lumber Company
- Seneca Sawmill
- Sierra Pacific Industries
- South Coast Lumber Company
- Stimson Lumber Company
- Swanson Group
- Thunderbolt Wood Treating Company
- Timber Products Company
- Unity Forest Products
- West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd.
What's Next?If you are interested in subscribing to the WWPA Prop 65 Notification Service, please contact:
The deadline for subscribing to our service and providing customer lists for the 2018 compliance year is: June 29, 2018